Olivia
Olivia, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 yr rescuer, 5 years experience in busy clinic, assisted in diverse surgeries, has many pets.
2359359

my dogs eyes are all of a sudden really squinty

Customer Question

it seems like he got poked in the eye but both eyes are like this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Olivia replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer

Just a few questions so I can understand the situation better;
Do you have another pet in the house?
Is there discharge coming from the eyes? Is it red or swelling?
Did you apply any flea and tick medication?
Did you recently clean or spray the enviornment with a new cleaner with a strong smell?
Any perfumes?
Does your dog go outdoors often?
What breed and age is your dog?

Thanks,
~Olivia
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Olivia's Post: -no other pets
-no discharge but he always has a normal bit of doggy tears, vet says in the past, mild conjuctiveitis.
-not red or swelling
-no flea/tick appy
-a lady at a pet store was hugging on him and she had perfume on and he started smelling kinda like it after we left the store and thats also when i noticed the squinty eyes.....?
-he gets 3 nice walks a day
-minuature pincher ( its his 5 year b-day today! )

thanks!
Expert:  Olivia replied 9 years ago.
Happy Birthday to your Min-pin!
Thanks for the info, it was very helpful!
Dogs have a far superior nose than humans do, of course, so they are very sensitive to scents. I believe he's reacting to the perfume, which is possibly still on him, causing him the squinty eyes. You can try wiping him well with a moist warm towel (just water) to see if that will help. Run it over him a couple of times, especially whereever he was hugged. If this doesn't help you can give him a bath.
Your pup might also have teary eyes from seasonal allergies. Yes, dogs can be allergic to pollen, dust and even humans! Keep an eye on this if the case persists.
I'm pretty sure the strong perfume is the culprit. Make sure to use very mild shampoos for your dog, and light smelling cleaners or scents around the house. As your dog has had such a reaction, it's a sign that he's sensitive to these things so best to keep it out of his way.
Other than that your baby does sound like he's doing great and enjoying his birthday!
Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if I wasn't clear on something. I'll be happy to help!
Best Wishes,
~Olivia