NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

I HAVE A BOSTON TERRIER 7YRS OLD. HE IS BLEEDING OUT

Customer Question

I HAVE A BOSTON TERRIER 7YRS OLD. HE IS BLEEDING OUT IS PENIS, AND SOMETIMES IT IS LITTLE PUDDLES OF BLOOD. I TOOK HIM TO THE VET AND HE GAVE HIM BAYTRIL 68MG 2 TIMES A DAY.HE HAS BEEN ON IT 4 DAYS AND IT HAS GOTTON A LITTLE BETTER. THE VET SAYS HE MAY NEED TO BE FIXED. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THIS CONDITION? HELP SUSAN
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Yes this can be common with a prostate infection and they can be slow to heal up.
If the prostate is enlarged neutering will help it shrink back down to more normal size. Neutering removes testosterone and that is what can cause the prostate to swell.
You can see a diagram of the prostate in a male dog here
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/anatomy/dog_ug.asp#lower%20urinary%20and%20genital%20tract
You can see if the prostate swells it can cause problems with urinating.
Hope this helps you!