Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

My dog licked ashes from the fireplace

Customer Question

I came home to find my dog had licked the ashes from around the fireplace. What do I do?She just threw up. What do I do and WHY did she eat this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 7 years ago.

Hello, were you just burning wood in the fireplace or was there anything else in there?

How much do you think she consumed?

How much did she vommit and is she acting any differently?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No Wood has not been burned for weeks. I do not think she ate much but am not sure. She knew she was in trouble when I came home and was in her bed. She is acting fine. Tail is up, coming when I call her. She is a 12lb Cockapoo. Why did she eat this!!

I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point. She more than likely just vommited because of the initial upset to her stomach. I would just keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating and drinking normally. If she goes off of her food or starts to vommit all of her food back up you may want to seek a vets help just to make sure she has not blocked herself with any weird piece of wood etc. Otherwise I think you will be fine you may see some darker stool in the next few days and that is normal considering the ash she ate. As far as why she did it is it hard to say for sure. Eating somehting like that may be a clue to the fact that she feels as though she is missing something from her diet. There are some suppliments out there that have small amounts of ash in them also. Someone may have also thrown something or droped a crumb or something in the fireplace or near it and she went to try and eat it and got some ash in the process. It is really hard to say for sure but given the opportunity dogs will confuse us with their actions more times then none. I do feel however that you will be fine and your baby will be fine with everything. Just keep an eye on her for the next few days and if something just doesn't seem right to you get her to your vet. You can also try giving her a bland diet for the next few days just incase the ash makes her stomach upset. You can boil some chicken or ground beef and rice to help things more though and settle her stomach if it becomes upset. I hope this helped but if you need anything else be sure to let me know.

Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: 10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much This site is fantastic So much better than waiting for the Vet to call you back !!! Thanks I will keep my eye on her and take her to the vet if she needs to. Just wanted some reassurance and you provided that. Thanks
Your very welcome and I hope she doesn't decide to get back into trouble with the fireplace. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.