Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

can you put a and d ointment on your dogs skin

Customer Question

my dog tore her skin under her mouth and had 8 stitches the skin was irratated that surrounded the wound. All i had was a and d ointment so I applied some and them was told it wasnt good for her. So I washed it off as best I could, but shes been acting strange so today i applied neoporin with cortizone which my vet said was ok.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

No, the A&D Ointment is not good for your dog, nor to apply to a stitched wound. It contains: Active Ingredients--Petrolatum 53.4%, Lanolin 15.5%. Inactive Ingredients: Cod Liver Oil (Contains Vitamin A, Vitamin D), Fragrance, Light Mineral Oil, Microcrystalline Wax, Paraffin, and that's why it's so hard to wash off. It's used to treat diaper rash because of it's 'water-resistant' properties. In what ways is your dog acting strange?

If she's not acting like herself, it may be due to the trauma of the injury and being stitched up at the vet, or because she may have ingested some of the A&D, since the wound is near her mouth, or it might have gotten absorbed into her skin at the wound, where it was stitched. Did she just get the stitches today? The Neosporin is fine, as your vet said, and if she's still acting strange during the night, or if her condition worsens, and she starts vomiting, has diarrhea, difficulty breathing, not eating, not drinking, acting lethargic, I'd bring her to an ER vet center to be evaluated.

If her behavior remains the same as it is now, throughout the night and she doesn't display any of the symptoms mentioned above, see how she is in the morning, and if you still feel she's not acting like herself, call your vet and have her seen.

I hope she'll be fine!

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Cher's Post: she received the stitches friday and she isnt able to lick where i put the ointment, i didnt get any on the stitches but after she scratches she did lick her paws.

shes acting normal in all ways as far as eating, drinking and bathroom, its just how she jumps up like someone startled her and then scratches.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your additional information. I'm glad to hear she's eating, drinking and eliminating well!

She's probably jumping up and scratching because the wound is itching as it heals. And, I think you're right, if she was scratching and got the ointment on her paws, she got some in her mouth when she licked the paws. She most likely didn't ingest enough to cause too much of a problem, and if you washed it off pretty quickly, and washed it off her paws, too, that would be the best thing.

See how she's doing tom'w and also ask the vet if there's anything else besides the Neosporin you could apply to cut down on the itching, if that's what's causing her discomfort.

Cher