Julian Swift
Julian Swift, Trainer, Groomer, Enthusiast
Experience:  26 years of responsible breeding, conditioning, training and showing various breeds
4005135

dog: chews on her paw pads, until they are almost off.

She just chews on her paw pads, until they are almost off. by the way this is my sister's dog and she is currently homeless, so I am keeping the dog until she is back on her feet. when she comes for a visit is when I notice she starts chewing on her pads of her feet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Julian Swift replied 9 years ago.
Since she seems to only chew her pads when your sister visits, I believe that she is exhibiting stress and uncertainty.
She has moved homes and really does not understand why this has happened. When she sees your sister (her actual owner) she is probably wondering why she has abandoned her. When your sister leaves, the dog is agitated and needs to do something to release what she is feeling. She is probably feeling abandoned all over again.
What you can do to try and ease her fears is when your sister leaves, take the dog outside for a long walk or play time then bring her back in and give her a new toy (I would recommend a pigs ear, they are wonderful for dogs and are relatively inexpensive). Having play time and then a new treat/toy will help her to forget that she is upset or feeling abandoned. Just show her a little extra love and affection and this behavior should stop.
If I can help further, please let me know.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Holly Ramsey's Post: I have tried to give her chew toys, such as pig ears. Should I treat her pads with anything?
You can massage triple antibiotic ointment into her pads and then put children's socks on her feet (take cloth tape and wrap around the top of the sock to keep them on). If the chew toys are not working, get her outside for hard play (so she wears herself out). If she starts chewing on her paws you can put lotion on her pads and then sprinkle cayenne pepper over that (be sure to put a layer of lotion first so it does not burn her and then rinse off once she stops trying to chew her pads).