Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog suddenly began eating grass frantically and has ...

my dog suddenly began frantically eating grass several minutes has vomited 2X and continues to eat grass - is it his stomach or could he be choking

Many dogs eat grass and subsequently vomit. Others do not vomit after eating grass. It may be they vomit due to grass not being digestible by a dog's system, or due to the grass causing a gag reflex.

Many dogs do seem to do this on purpose as a way of emptying their stomachs though some claim they like the taste. I've seen my pre-labor females eat grass just prior to labor, which I've always assumed was their way of relieving nausea and to clear out their stomach.

You never want to let a dog eat grass that has been treated with fertilizer, weed killers or pesticides or where mushrooms might be. Since grass is not digestible for a dog, if your dog was to eat a large quantity, it could possibly cause a blockage. To curb this behavior, keep your grass well mowed, as they tend to like the longer grass.

I would say your dog has nausea. There are a few things you can try to calm down the stomach. You can give your dog some pepcid at .25 -.5 mg per pound every 12-14 hours.. Read about dosages and usage information here:

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

Pepto-Bismol can be given to a dog at 1 tsp per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea.

You may want to offer only bland food such as boiled chicken (1/3) and rice (2/3) for a few days. If he does good, gradually switch him back to his regular food.

If it is possible that your dog ate something toxic such as chocolate, cocoa mulch, antifreeze, medications they will need to see a vet immediately.

I hope one of the above medication calms down your dog's nausea so he can get some rest and recover.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your swift reply - he has stopped frantically eating grass, drank some water, and come back inside altough he wants to go back out - Could he have nausea because of a bad ingredient in his dog food? He eats 'By Nature' brand dog food.

The following site has the most up to date information on recalled foods which seems to change quickly. You can do a search on your food there. I didn't see any "By Nature" but it is best to double check.:

Vomiting, loss of appetite and lethargy are signs of kidney failure associated with the dog food recall. You can read about this here:

It doesn't sound like this. Nausea can be caused by an unusual (to them) treat, a change of diet can do it, if they eat too much, some vomit if they eat grass, they vomit if they don't eat sometimes, vomit if they have a throat irritation, disease can be a cause, poisoned, and various other causes. If it continues to happen, then you would need to be concerned. The only other cause to worry would be if there was a possibility of poisoning like I mentioned.