Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My Maltese is eating grass each time I take her out. She ...

My Maltese is eating grass each time I take her out. She scratches to go out and only eats grass. She doesn't seem to feel well at times. What can I do? Is there something for indigestion for dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

Generally dog seat grass when they have a upset stomach, but this is not good for her because not only will it make her vomit but can cause blockage. If she becomes lethargic or you notice blood in the stool or vomit, she needs to see her vet promptly. As this is a sign of serious illness including a parasite infection or a blockage among other things. If your dog is unvaccinated she will need vet attention as this is a common symptom of some very serious illness.

I would start her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to help settle her stomach. I recommend giving her unflavored pedilayte If she begins vomiting or has diarrhea. You can also give her One teaspoon of Pepto Bismol per 10 pounds of body weight for faster relief from her upset stomach.

I hope she is feeling better soon, Please let me know how she is doing.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: Thank you. She is up to date on all her shots. She sees the Vet twice a year. I have brought her once for this problem, she was given an antibiotic and bland diet. But it is back and just need to know what to do until I can see the Vet on Monday. Thank you again, I will try the Pepto.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

This may simply be a case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) since this is not the first occurrence I would start with the Pepto Bismol, and keep her from eating the grass. If she starts vomiting or has diarrhea start the bland diet again (If she isn't still on it).

I would recommend speaking with her vet about IBS and a more serious treatment plan for the long term.