Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

How do I help a dog that is sick from eating a ham bone

Sunday afternoon the dog (beagle mix) was given a ham bone to chew on. Monday the dog was sick.Tues - sicker. She has lost control of her bowels and is also vomiting. Today we have not allowed her to have food, only water. she has eaten grass to regurgitate. This morning the "stuff" that came out of her looked like very thick blood. It was on the garage floor by where she slept. I do not know if it came from her throwing up or from her bowels?? Is it possible that she could have bone chips in her stomach or bowel that would cause her vomit or poop blood? The spot was as large as a paper plate. This dog is a very hyper dog, but she is barely moving. I am keeping water by her to keep her hydrated. Not sure what to do. She is about 9 yrs old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Hardrock,

Please do not delay. Take your girl to the Vet immediately. It sounds like the bone has caused an obstruction. You can read about intestinal obstructions here:

Pancreatitis is also a strong possibility as well and is also cause for an immediate vet visit when presenting like your dog is. Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated

You can read about it in detail here:

I urge you to have your dog seen immediately.