Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My Dog has a lump under his armpit (area ...

My Dog has a lump under his "armpit" (area on chest near origin of front leg) about a half inch in diameter. He had no reaction when it was palpated. Just wondered what this could be symptom of?(cancer?) Appears to be a mass under the skin.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 9 years ago.

Hi William,

What age, breed and weight is your dog?

How long have you seen and felt this?

is is soft and fluid filled or hard?

Irritated, red, sore, etc?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Hi,
Thanks for responding so quickly. He is ten years old - a mutt - mixture of rotteweiler and unknown breed. He weighs about 60 pounds(he will not abide weighing at the vets) The lump is soft, and as far as we can ascertain, not red or sore. I felt it yesterday, but have no idea how long it's been there.

This can be something as simple as a Hygroma, These are common in large dogs, which you can read about here:

However, it can also be a more serious issue, like an abscess, cyst, papilloma, lymph gland or even a malignancy.

As in humans, any lump should be evaluated by a Doctor. Please err on the side of caution and have your DVM take a look at this ASAP. Hopefully it is not serious and can be easily treated. At least you will have peace of mind once you know what you are dealing with.

Please let me know what is found and how your boy is doing.

Very sincerely,