Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

my dog has recently been sticking out her tongue. she has ...

Customer Question

my dog has recently been sticking out her tongue. she has never done anything like this befor, and i am worried. what could be the causes??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

What type of dog do you have?

Is she sticking out her tongue through her closed mouth, and/or when she's panting? When did you first notice this?

Is she eating, drinking, eliminating and behaving as usual?

Thanks for any additional detail.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Cher's Post: She is a 3 year old yorkie mix, she is sticking out her tongue with a closed mouth, sometimes she sticks it out through the side, but mostly out the front, and i noticed this about a week ago. this is not normal behavior for her. She is eating and elimnating as usual.
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your additional information. Please allow me a little time to research and type your answer.

Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks so much for your
patience! : )

Because this is unusual behavior for your dog, and because it's been happening for about a week, it would be a good idea to have her evaluated by the vet, ASAP. The fact that she's still eating, drinking and behaving normally, is great. However, any change which deviates from the norm, bears investigation. It's possible that she may have something stuck under her tongue, sores on her tongue along the sides, or in the back, near her throat, a throat infection or irritation, or she's tried to chew on something caustic or sharp, which has caused some injury to the tongue. Since there are various possibilities, and the tongue is an organ very important to the dog's health and wellbeing because it is serves multiple functions in addition to taste, an in-person evaluation by her vet would be your best move at this time.

Monitor her well, as you have been, and as long as she continues to eat and drink with no problem, try to get an appointment to see the vet tomorrow.
If she will allow, inspect her tongue, teeth, inside of the mouth carefully, searching for any foreign objects embedded between teeth, in the gums, wrapped around the tongue, or any sores/areas of pigmentation (like dark spots) on the tongue or gums.

I hope she'll be fine, and please keep me updated on how she's doing, and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!