Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Is my dog going to go into labour in the next 24 hours

My dog is only like 57 days along, but she's been acting really weird today. She threw up this white foamy water looking stuff three times today. She isn't acting herself. She won't eat any snacks or anything. She hasn't been whimpering or anything. She's been sleeping all day, pretty much no activity. She looks sad. Is she going to have her babies soon?
Hi Kayla,

It sounds like she may be close, but it really is a bit too soon. A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. Puppies born at 59 days or later can be born safely. Puppies born before that have problems surviving.   One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this.

A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week which it sounds like yours is already doing.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Where do I take her temperature from? Where can I find a thermometer to do that?

Sorry about that. You take her temperature rectally. Use petroleum jelly to lubricate the end and slide it in about one inch. If using a digital thermometer, wait for it to beep or otherwise tell you it is done, otherwise leave in for 2 minutes and then read. Any thermometer will work, just reserve it for the dog after it is used. I just got one at the drug store recently that gives a reading in 6 seconds. You can see how that would come in hand in situations like this.