Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My Shih-Poo goes through moments where she is just shaking, ...

Customer Question

My Shih-Poo goes through moments where she is just shaking, not like a seizure but more like shivering. why?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

Shaking or trembling in small breeds could be due to hypoglycemia, liver shunt, or a neurologic response such as a seizure. Trembling can also be a sign of pain, stress and cold.

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and frequently causing trembling in small breeds. Feeding your dog smaller meals more frequently can help. If you suspect your dog is having low blood sugar you can put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue which should raise the level.

A liver shunt is usually a genetic condition. It is a condition where instead of the blood going through the liver and being cleansed, part of the blood is diverted around the liver resulting in a toxic buildup in the blood. You can read about these here:

Seizures can manifest as trembling and a dog may not lose conscienceness. You can read more about seizures here:

As I stated, it could also be due to pain or a stressful situation as well. Sometimes this will happen when something changes in the household or strangers are introduced.

Hope this helps.