Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
997364

My dog is having trouble jumping up. She normally jumps up ...

Customer Question

My dog is having trouble jumping up. She normally jumps up on the bed, etc... Now if she tries she sort of screams from the pain. Not sure if she has something wrong with legs. This has never happened before. It started Sunday. What does this mean?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

It sounds like a possible injury to the hind legs or hips, though if she is a older dog arthritis is a possibility. If she is a older dog you can go to your local pet store ad pick up some pain reliever to help until she can see the vet and he can prescribe a inflammation med or a pain reliever.

If this is not a senior dog there is the chance she may have a broken or fractured leg. While there is a chance of it being a pulled muscle or torn ligament you will want to have it xrayed never the less. If it is broken or fractured and you do not seek treatment she runs a high probability of experiencing pain, malformation, and arthritis.

Walter

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: She is only 4 years old.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

Then I doubt there is a arthritis issue. I suspect she has developed a injury to the hind quarters or a break. this is more common in dogs as they do allot of jumping on and off of high places. My recommendation is to have it examined by your vet and a xray done if needed.

Walter