Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

my dogs temperature is 99.5 is she going to go into labor

Customer Question

my dog is due April 8th 2007 shes pregnant but I took her temp and its 99.5 so will she have them early?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

HI hayhay,

A drop in temp is usually a good indication of this . Is she doing any nesting at all?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: No, shes sitting by me and she normally goes and does her own thing and shes been sleeping all day, she ate a little not much.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.
Can you tell me her breed and age? Is the temp the only thing that has changed?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: Shes a full bred basset hound shes 1yr and 4months old she bred with a jack russel terrier I just gave her some puppy food i bought for her and she dug her nose in it and tipped it over. She hasnt nested at all she has a cage she sleeps in at night but she has went in there she just lays by me and when she lays down she doesnt breathe heavily she takes more breaths but not panting i dont know Ive never had a pregnant dog?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for that information. The fact that she bred with a larger dog may present problems for her so I would suggest you keep a vet and emergency vet number on the fridge for easy access in case you have to be talked through anything, or need to make an emergency trip.

The dog may go into labor between 12 and 24 hours from the temp drop. When she seems anxious , looking for a place to have the pups, keep a close eye on her and only take her out on a leash. Some people make the mistake of letting the dog out thinking it has to potty and it ends up dropping a pup outside.

When mom starts active labor pains she should deliver the first pup within two hours, any longer and there may be a problem. There after she will have a pup every half hour or up to four hours.

I am going to direct you to sites that talks of delivery and what constitutes an emergency.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-to-expect-when-you-are-expecting-puppies/page1.aspx

http://breeder.pedigree.com/BreederProgram/Resources/birth/