Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

how can i tell if my dog has a broken foot or toe with out ...

Customer Question

how can i tell if my dog has a broken foot or toe with out an x-ray.
he is a greyhound and was running in the back yard and i think he hit is foot on the deck,its right at the moment he yelped
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
I am afraid that you can't tell if the foot or toe is broken without an x-ray. If your baby is able to put weight on it, then I would be more apt to think it is a sprain or tissue bruise. You can apply heat or a cool pack...if it is swollen, put the cool pack on it to reduce the swelling and then heat to give comfort. You can give him a baby aspirin every 12 hours to help with pain, but if he does not show any improvment within the next 24 hours, I would have him checked out by your veterinarian. Good luck and hope he does feel better very soon. :)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
You're very welcome :) Do let me know how you make out with him :)