Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

How far along is my dog

Customer Question

i cant tell how far along my dog is, What should we do? How do we find out how far along she is? Were moving to NY in 3 1/2 weeks and she is staying with my parents. We didnt plan this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Tears,

Do you know when she started her heat cycle?
This would be when her vulva started to swell and she started having blood show?
Does she have any weight gain yet?
Have her breasts enlarged?
Does she have a whitish mucousy discharge from the vulva yet?
Any other physical changes?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: She is an outside dog so we dont really notice much her breasts are pretty big and she has gained weight. I can feel the puppies kick when i hold my hand on her stumach
Hi Tears,

If you can feel the puppies moving inside her, then you are in the last week or so of pregnancy. A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this.

A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:
http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

I hope you find this information helpful.