Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My 5 year old spaniel mix has now woken up bed

Customer Question

My 5 year old spaniel mix has now woken up twice with what appears to be a back problem. She tries to stretch and yelps in pain and then sits at the edge of my bed and will NOT move! She shakes and pants from the pain. Unfortunately, I'm usually headed out the door for work, and I'll leave her in the room for the day, and when I return, she's back to her normal hyper self. The night before it happens, nothing is out of the ordinary and I see no warning signs. I've talked to my vet, and they've told me that its difficult to diagnose the dog unless the symptoms are present. This would be basically impossible, since I once tried to pick her up (while in this pain) and she tried to bite me. Furthermore, I dont want to risk hurting her. Advice?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

HI Lorimarie,

Your pup is probably experiencing Intervetebral disc disease which is when there is a substance build up in the disc that presses against the spine. YOur vet should be able to see something with radio graphs.

Symptoms are just what you are describing. Sometimes medication is all that is required sometimes surgery is required depending on the severity. Since the do is feeling better when you arrive home it may be because he is able to rest comfortably thereby bringing the swelling down.

You can read more on this here:

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: Sally,

I'd actually already looked at some information on IDD, and my only concern is that the problem has occured only twice, once about a month ago and again earlier this week. She is a medium sized dog - 45 pounds - and has pain lower in her spine and not near her neck. Once the 'episode' has passed, I can massage all along her spine and her limbs and she seems to enjoy it rather than feel pain. She has none of the symptoms described in the article that you provided the link for. Is there anything that I can do for her now? I'm using this site as a means of avoiding getting to the vet immediately. Thanks again for your help, Lori
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

If this is in the lower spine it may be hip dysplasia. For pain , you can give aspirin, 1 children's aspirin for every 16 lbs of body weight, or 1 adult aspirin for every 32 lbs of body weight. Make sure it is aspirin and not Tylenol, Advil or anything with acetaminophen. However this should not be long term use or other problems with the stomach may appear. Try calling the vet and explain the pain, they may be able to give her rimadyl.

Also add some glucosamine to her diet to help with the build up of cartilage.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

I am sorry that you are not satisfied with the answer. I will direct your queston to another expert .

I am not sure what advice you are seeking aside from keeping the dog comfortable and out of pain.