NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My dog ate a steak bone last night and has been sick ...

My dog ate a steak bone last night and has been sick since this morning. There is a little bit of blood in her diarrhea. Should I be concerned, or will it simply pass?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
This depends on how big a dog this is and if she crushed the bone so it has sharp edges or not.
You can try some fiber to see if that will help.
A meal with a spoon or two of plain canned pumpkin, oatmeal, or bran cereal will add fiber to her system. The fiber holds moisture and helps bulk up a stool and both make it easier to pass through the system. With any luck the bulkier stool will help bone fragments out of the system.
But as she is sick and in pain and bleeding you may want to get her to a vet for an x-ray to see where the bone is and if it has punctured the intestinal tract or not.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
She is a lab/chow mix. I am fairly confident that she chewed the bone up pretty well. I will try the fiber. Is this a normal occurance when dogs eat bones? There is not much blood, just a little it can be seen in the snow outside, otherwise we would not have even noticed it.
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
As long as she isn't acting like she is in a lot of pain. If you see a lot of blood, or she appears in pain, stops eating, starts vomiting etc then fiber is a good choice to start with otherwise see a vet with her. You can see her so you can most easily judge her status :)