Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

how does fertilization in the female dog occur I am ...

how does fertilization in the female dog occur? I am debating whether or not to breed my 3 and 1/2 year old aussie for a second time in this estrus cycle. She was bred yesterday in what I believe is the second week of her cycle. She was very receptive to the dog. I want the pregnancy to happen but I don't want to burden her with more puppies than normal. I have been told that she can conceive more puppies the second time around. I haven't been able to find the information that addresses how fertilization works for a female dog.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

A female dog drops a certain number of eggs during each heat cycle at ovulation. The number of eggs dropped is individual to each dog, but the number of puppies mom dropped can give you a general idea. All eggs can be fertilized with a one time mating. Repeat breedings just help ensure that all the eggs are fertilized. You can read more about the female heat cycle here:

I hope this information is helpful to you.