Olivia, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 yr rescuer, 5 years experience in busy clinic, assisted in diverse surgeries, has many pets.

my pitbull is about a year old, she has moles on her ...

Customer Question

my pitbull is about a year old, she has moles on her face and a big one on her leg, we have a brazilian mastiff that plays with the pit but when they play the moles scratch off and bleed, how do i know that it is moles or is it cancer?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Olivia replied 9 years ago.
Hi dfarrar,
From what you're describing, it sounds like your pitbull has warts, or canine viral papilloma. They can be located anywhere, even in the mouth. They are usually not malignant growths and common in younger dogs. However, your other dog can get this as it is a viral wart. You can read more on this page:

You should start worrying about cancer when the growth is under the skin, rapidly growing, your dogs stops being active, has lack of appetite, and irregular bowel movements.

If these warts are bleeding or getting torn off, I would suggest you take your dog to the vet. The warts, depending on the location, can be a nusiance for your dog and removing them isn't difficult. Antibiotics may be necessary to prevent infections.

I hope this helps you.
Best Wishes,