Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

I got soap in my dogs eye, he is squinting in that eye, ...

I got soap in my dogs eye, he is squinting in that eye, what should I do for him?

Immeediately flush it with room temp water and please stand by for detailed answer.

what is the name of the soap?

how long ago did this happen?

what age and weight is your boy?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It was Mane and Tail shampoo

I washed him yesterday

He is 6 months old and weighs 6lbs.

should I just slowly pour the water into his eye?

Daer friend,

Yes you can pour water over the eye.

After your have thoroughly flushed the eye with room temp water and gotten all the soap out, apply a damp teabag to reduce the alkalinity. This is very painful to him and emits a burning sensation.

You can get sterile saline drops that is made for contact lens wearers and use that and the teabag a few times a day.

He should be OK but if the soap was medicated or contained insectide and his eye tissue swell or reddens, he should be seen by a vet.For a simple allergic reaction, he may have 0.5 to one mg of plain benedryl for every lb of his weight.Start with the lowest dose first.

If it was just plain soap, the above should resolve it.

Please let me know how your boy is feeling. I will be here til tonight if you have any further questions.

I hope he feels better right away.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I will try this and let you know how he is feeling.

Thank you so much for yor help.

Dear friend,

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet boy. I will always be here to help further if you have any questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: My little Hamilton is feeling much better! Thank you so much for your advice!!