Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

My dog just swallowed a lollipop stick. What should I do

Customer Question

Stick was from a dumdum lollipop. Swallowed it about 50 minutes ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
Customer

At this point it is a wait and see game. Hopefully your dog chewed it some before he/she swallowed it and it will be able to pass easily through the GI tract. The symptoms of a possible obstruction are refusal of food and water, vomiting and diarrhea, lethargy and fever over 103...if your dog shows any of these symptoms, please see your vet with him. You can offer him some canned food and a few teaspoons of plain canned pumpkin to add some extra water and fiber to help pass the lollipop stick. Good luck and hope it passes without issue :)