Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Can I give my dog childrens motrin/tylenol for pain

She has a cut on her leg and I would like to give her pain medication tonight until I can take her to the vet in the morning.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Louie,

DO NOT GIVE MOTRIN, TYLENOL OR ADVIL TO A DOG, the only safe over the counter medication for pain is buffered aspirin.

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. Read side effects and precautions here.

However, aspirin is an anti-coagulant, so if the cut is still bleeding you will not want to use it until the bleeding is stopped.

I hope this information is helpful to you.