Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my chihuahua is throwing up this yellow foam. why

Customer Question

she was just sitting on the ground near me and started making this hacking noise and threw up this yellow foamy stuff. 3times. she had just woken up so she hasnt eaten anything yet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bambi,

It sounds like your dog has an excess of bile, which is triggering the vomiting. There are several things you can do to help with this type of situation. A yellowish vomit indicates an excess of bile. You can give your dog some pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

I'd start feeding your dog smaller meals 4 times a day taking up the food bowl afterwards. This way your dog will have food in its belly on a regular basis throughout the day. This will cut down on excess bile. I'd also add a spoonful of plain yogurt to your dog’s food 2-3 times a week to add good bacteria to your dog’s stomach to aid in digestion as well. The bland diet of boiled chicken and rice can be used for a few days. If your dog does fine, you can slowly reintroduce your dog’s regular food into the chicken and rice mixture until it is all regular food.

If these things do not work for your dog, then your dog will need to go to the vet and have tests run to determine if a more serious condition is present.

Hope these suggestions help.