Tracy M
Tracy M, Registered Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Nearly 20 yrs experience in small animal medicine, emergency, and specialty practice.
3769175

My dog ate the foam padding out of a mattress.

Customer Question

My dog ate some of the foam padding out of the inside of a mattress. she has been vomiting up pieces of the padding. She will not eat any food and can't keep down water. it has been 2 full days. Will the padding pass through her system?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tracy M replied 9 years ago.
How much padding did she eat? What kind of dog is she?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tracy M's Post: She's a German Shepard, It's hard to tell how much of the padding she ate. She chewed a small corner of the bed apart. She was vomiting up golf ball sized chunks of the padding.
Expert:  Tracy M replied 9 years ago.
Customer

Since she has been vomiting for 2 days, It is entirely possible that she has an obstruction from the foam padding. I definitely would not count on it passing through. She should see a vet for radiographs and a possible barium series. Sometimes a foreign body obstruction can be diagnosed on plain films. She is in danger of becoming dehydrated because she is unable to keep food and water down. If she does have an obstruction, the longer you wait the greater the chance she will develop a perforation at the site. This happens when the tissue is unhealthy and a hole develops in the intestine. Given the duration of the possible foreign body, I suggest she see a vet at the emergency center today. If she is lethargic at all, she needs veterinary care immediately. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Tracy