Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog is coughing and bringing up clear mucus.How can I ...

my dog is coughing and bringing up clear mucus.
How can I help her to clear her out and reduce the coughing?

How old is your dog?
How long has your dog been coughing?
Is she vomiting from coughing or coughing phlegm out?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: Gizmo is an 11 year old Skye Terrier. The coughing started last night and she is only bringing up clear mucus she also is only coughing when she needs to bring it up.

It is possible your dog may have caught an upper respiratory illness such as kennel cough or possibly canine influenza. A heart condition such as heartworms can also cause a cough, which will need to be checked if your dog is not on heartworm preventative or an older dog.   

Kennel cough is normally contracted when a dog has been boarded or kenneled or around a large number of dogs such as at a dog show, dog park or pet store. Here is a website with more information on kennel cough.

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. Here is an excellent site on it.

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and my require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover.

To help your dog breathe easier, Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. Dosages can be obtained at this website.

The following site goes over the canine cough.

Since your dog is an older dog and she is coughing up phlegm, I would have her seen by your Vet rather than wait for the symptoms to worsen.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
do you think that trying the Rob.DM for today and waiting until tomorrow is wise. It should help her symptoms correct? If she is worse tomorrow then I will take her to the vet...

Yes that should be fine. You should just get her in soon to be sure it is indeed an upper respiratory illness and not a heart condition and get some antibiotics to help with any secondary infection that may be present.