Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

what food will help increase milk supply in my lactating dog

I have a cavalier king charles spaniel with 6 pups that are 3 wks old. What can I give her to increase her milk supply. I give her yogurt/cheese/cottage cheese and puppy food right now. plus Nu-Vet vitamins. any other suggestions.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
I would suggest adding some puppy milk replacer to her meals, or better yet, goat's milk if you can find it. Most health food stores carry it both liquid and powder form. This will help encourage her body to produce more milk. At this point in your puppy's lives, they can start being weaned from momma using a puppy gruel made from puppy food and milk replacer or goats milk. Its easiest to make this using an older blender, adding small amounts of puppy kibble at a time so it does not clog until it is the consistancy of a milk shake. At 4 weeks you can start to soak the kibble in the milk replacer until it is puffy for the pups. :) Hope this helps :)