Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

can a four month old male puppy get a female dog pregnant

female dog was in heat ending november 25,06 Got her spayed at the local SPCA on Feb 14 07. They said she was pregnant with 6 pups. Only male she has been around during heat was a 4 month old puppy, and we had them seperated at all times. If she got pregnant mid november 06..she would have had the puppies by now, and showed signs of pregnancy. She is only 5 lbs...6 puppies??? she would have been dragging the ground. Think we were scammed for extra cash.

When you say her heat ended 11/25/06 was this when the bleeding stopped?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
no..her bleeding stopped around nov 15..I understand they are still in cycle for at least 10 more days or so after that.

The only possibilities we have here is that she had another silent heat due to irregular cycles and your two dogs did get together or she had a visitor into the back yard when she went out to potty.

Yes a dog can produce sperm as early as 4 months old though it is usually between the ages of 5-6 months and at four months they aren't very coordinated to figure out how to breed though some have.

Or, you were scammed. The problem is with this sort of scam is you will never be able to prove that your dogs never got together or she didn't have an unwanted visitor in the yard. I would hope that the SPCA wouldn't be so ignorant to do such a thing to clients unless they were out to try and prove a point.

If you are 100% sure there is no way she could have been pregnant then I would demand a pregnancy test today through another veterinarian as she should have some pregnancy hormones (Relaxin) still floating around. This will prove to you whether she was pregnant or not during the time that she was spayed and if she wasn't then you have a suit on your hands.

http://www.petservice.com/ask_the_vet/article_archive/canine_pregnancy_test.html

Theresa