Patricia, Pet Consultant
Experience:  Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.

my dog eats my kids dirty diapers...yuck! why does he do ...

my dog eats my kids dirty diapers...yuck! why does he do this and what can i do to make him stop? he knows it's bad but can't seem to control himself.
He does it because he is a dog and that is just one of the many things they will put in their mouths that we don't understand. Dogs will try to eat many things that one would think they would have better sense about. Since they don't, it's up to us to prevent this kind of behavior when we can. In this case, it's up to you. You have to make sure he doesn't have access to the dirty diapers. If you are using the disposable kind, it's not that hard to get them in the trash as soon as you change the baby. If you are using the cloth type, have a container of water/bleach solution sitting near your changing area that has a tight fitting lid. You will not change his behavior. It's up to you to prevent him from getting to them. You should also consider getting him a check up at the vet as soon as possible. Not only because of what he has been eating. The vet can check him for any illness or bacterial infection he may have picked up being allowed to do this, and at the same time, you can discuss proper diet to make sure there is not something missing, nutritionally, that is making him go after the diapers.