Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes

Hi, Sometimes my dogs tongue turns a blueish color as ...

Hi, Sometimes my dogs tongue turns a blueish color as if it isn't getting enough blood. She does have a saliva sack on the right side of her jaw. Right now the tongue is normal color. But I would like to know if I need to do anything when it does turn blue? Is she in any danger? How normal is this? She is 11 yrs old. A Maltese and a few pounds over weight, which we are working on. Thanks! Barbara
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joni replied 9 years ago.
Hi Barbara, When the tongue turns blue (purplish) it i snot because of a lack of blood- it is because of a lack of oxygen. Therefore this can be a very serious problem. When was the last time she had a good check up? How long has this been going on? She may have developed a heart condition of some sort causing this so it really needs to be checked out soon.