NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

I just noticed an indentation/sunken area in my dogs ...

I just noticed an indentation/sunken area in my dog's back,1-2 inches wide. What could it be? She is a 1 1/2 yr old golden retriever, with no health problems to date
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Is it right along the spine behind the shoulder area?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it is off the center of the spine, more between the center area of her back and rump
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Usually this is a sign of a muscle that is not getting nerve stimulation for some reason. The muscle atrophies from lack of use and a 'hole' appears.
But there are spots along the spine that seem indented too such as the area of the 'true back' on a dog which is a short segement about in the center between where the neck vertebra and the rear vertebra are found. This site shows a skeleton and you can see the slightly flat section behind the shoulder area almost at the end of the rib cage below it.
http://www.seefido.com/html/dog_s_skeleton.htm
Behind the hip just over where the tail attaches there can be a 'dimple' too. That dimple on the above diagram would be about where the 'sacro' label is.
This could also be over the hip as muscle can atrophy due to a hip problem.
I do think if this is new to you and there is not a matching spot on the other side that having the vet check it out is a good idea.
It may be she has a nerve pinch in the spine area that can be helped which could resolve this.
Or she might be having joint issues from a hip problem or a tick carried disease causing this.
Hope this helps you!