NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

I just noticed an indentation/sunken area in my dogs ...

I just noticed an indentation/sunken area in my dog's back,1-2 inches wide. What could it be? She is a 1 1/2 yr old golden retriever, with no health problems to date
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Is it right along the spine behind the shoulder area?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it is off the center of the spine, more between the center area of her back and rump
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Usually this is a sign of a muscle that is not getting nerve stimulation for some reason. The muscle atrophies from lack of use and a 'hole' appears.
But there are spots along the spine that seem indented too such as the area of the 'true back' on a dog which is a short segement about in the center between where the neck vertebra and the rear vertebra are found. This site shows a skeleton and you can see the slightly flat section behind the shoulder area almost at the end of the rib cage below it.
Behind the hip just over where the tail attaches there can be a 'dimple' too. That dimple on the above diagram would be about where the 'sacro' label is.
This could also be over the hip as muscle can atrophy due to a hip problem.
I do think if this is new to you and there is not a matching spot on the other side that having the vet check it out is a good idea.
It may be she has a nerve pinch in the spine area that can be helped which could resolve this.
Or she might be having joint issues from a hip problem or a tick carried disease causing this.
Hope this helps you!