Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog just swallowed a I need to be ...

My dog just swallowed a screw.
do I need to be concerned or will it pass?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

Since it is a sharp pointed object, about all you can do is wait and see what happens. You can give your dog a piece of bread or two that may wrap itself around the object and allow it to go through the system easier. You will need to keep an eye on your dog’s stools to see if the screw passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus.

Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the upper digestive tract. If your dog’s stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure the screw passes through your dog's system.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you.

It was a blunt end screw, so I guess that is good.
I was wondering if I should make him throw up, but I guess we will wait & see.

Thanks again,