Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 yrs working, treating, training and loving dogs, 5 yrs as an animal control officer
1527314

I have a panther chameleon with an eye infection ...

Customer Question

I have a panther chameleon with an eye infection is there anything that I could purchase to help the infection.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 9 years ago.
The problem here is whether it is an infection or an injury, depending on which it is would determine the medication needed. Also if it is an infection, then what is causing the infection. You can clean it out with plain eye wash to help keep it open but if it is infected then it will need antibiotics which would have to be prescribed by your vet. You can also wash the area with a very mild betadine solution, like watered down tea, and clean it twice daily with this. It could also be an abcess that is affecting the eye which is another reason to have your vet look at it in case it needs to be opened up and flushed out. Make sure that the enclosure is set up right with the lighting and heat, since husbandry issues are often the underlying cause of infections.