Joni
Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes

my dog has a boil or cyst on his paw. I want it ...

my dog has a boil or cyst on his paw. I want it drained. He is 16 years old. Is it possible?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joni replied 7 years ago.
It depends on a couple of things. First off what it is- if it is something as simple as a cyst and it is fluid filled then the vet can most likely drain it for you. Is he in good health? This would be the biggest concern if he actually had to undergo anesthesia for the procedure. Has a vet looked at it yet? This is going to be the best place to start. We do procedures all the time on dogs that age but they are usually procedures that have to be done- nothing for cosmetic reasons.
Experience: 20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took him to the Vet already. The vet said that he didn't want to operate. He said I should try and drain the cyst myself by puncturing it. My husband tried puncturing it with the wrong needles...now the cyst is bigger and looks worse.
Expert:  Joni replied 7 years ago.
WHAT!? He told you to puncture it ? That is absurd- he should have done that himself while the dog was in his office. The fact that it is bigger and looks worse concerns me that it may now be infected. He needs to be seen (maybe even by a different vet) to be sure he does not need any antibiotics. This may be the way to go anyway for starters. It certanly won't hurt anything? What breed of dog is this and is he in good health other than this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a minature pinscher. Yes he is in excellent health. I know (about it might be infected) and I am very concerned. I don't really want him to be anesthetized. I would rather a vet just do something in office.
Expert:  Joni replied 7 years ago.
OK That is better than a large breed as small breeds usually live longer than large. Have your vet (or even a 2nd opinion from a different one) take a look. It is very hard for me to say without seeing it but I really feel antibiotics may be a good place to start. If it helps decrease the size and clear up any infection they may be able to take a good look with a local anesthetic. It may even be something like a cyst that is encapsulated which can basically be shelled out without a lot of trouble. I would love to know the outcome.