Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

my dog is impacted, is there anything I can do at home to ...

my dog is impacted, is there anything I can do at home to physically resolve this myself when it happens?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.

Talk to your vet about the use of glycerine suppositories when your baby gets impacted. The best way to help prevent this from happening is to put a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin in your baby's meals. The added fiber will help keep him/her regular. You can read more about constipation in dogs below:

If your baby is lethargic, you need to see the vet with him/her immediately for treatment. Please make sure there is plenty of fresh water available at all times and you can even put some plain pedialyte in the water to aid with hydration. Good luck and hope your baby gets some much needed relief soon. :)