Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why cant my dog put his penis back inside

Customer Question

my dog's penis is sticking out and won't go back inside
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

This sometimes happens to male dogs. It may be due to the bulbous glands in the penis swelling outside of the outer skin (prepuce). This makes it hard for the penis to return to its normal position inside the prepuce. Or the hairs of the prepuce may have become caught preventing its retraction. This can cause problems if it is not corrected. You can try putting a little lubrication on the penis such as KY jelly and gently roll the prepuce back and forth and see if the penis will return to it’s normal position.

You can also make a saturated solution of sugar water using warm water. Take a hand towel and soak it well and place it on the exposed penis. This will sometime draw the fluid out of the bulbous gland and reduce the swelling allowing the penis to retract.   

If the penis stays erect and has not retracted by tomorrow, you should have him seen by the vet. The vet may have to put the dog under anesthetize to lubricate and return the penis to it’s normal position

Hope this helps.