Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

How long does it take for medicine to work on hypothyroidism

Customer Question

My dog seemed to get sick suddenly but after reading about hypothyroidism, symptoms have been overlooked by her vet. (Flaky, itchy skin, chronic ear infections, obesity) My vet put her on napraril and said her blood pressure was 80 points above normal. She seemed better but then started chewing on her paws excessively. I took her back and he gave me betagen spray which did nothing. The intensity of the symptoms increased as in chewing of her feet until they were raw and she couldn't walk and also was lethargic. I took her to another vet who put her on predinisone to help her feet. When other symptoms did not go away she did a blood test & took xrays & concluded she had hypothyroidism. She put her on a 10 day course of antibiotics due to a bad infection, soloxine, taper off prednisone until she could get off of it, 1/4 pill napril am & pm. Five days later, she's not eating her dog food & seems weaker. Is it from all the medicine, will she stabilize? She is losing weight fast
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

I am not going to recommend that the medications be stopped until you contact a veterinarian. Prednisone tapers are to be slow and gradual but are unlikely to cause a decrease in appetite and weakness. Normally you would see the reverse while a patient is taking the medication like increase in appetite and hyperactivity. The thyroid medication is unlikely to be causing her symptoms and this will take 2-4 weeks before you notice any changes in weight, activity level, or skin. I am concerned about the blood pressure medication however. Many dogs get overly anxious at the vet and have increases in their blood pressure. Medication actually should not be started until he has three separate days and readings on the blood pressure before starting medication. She does have symptoms of low blood pressure and when on these meds there is an adjustment period. I would contact your veterinarian about this med and see what he/she thinks about decreasing or stopping this medication to see how she responds. Also antibiotics can give a dog tummy upset and enough that they do not want to eat. Try to offer her some boiled chicken, deli turkey, scrambled eggs etc. Anything to get her to take in some food and bring back that energy level. Many times once a dog gets some food into their tummies they start eating again on their own.

Please contact your vet about the blood pressure medication as I am concerned her bp may be a little low.

Theresa

Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Since asking my question, my dog has thrown up all of her medicine. I have been wrapping it in chicken so she would eat it. What should I do to keep it down?
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

Your girl is not tolerating one or more of the medications well. Likely the antibiotic is not mixing well with her. Please contact your veterinarian about switching the antibiotic. I would hold off on meds tonight to give her stomach a break and contact your vet in the morning.

Theresa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Since last question, her blood sugar levels still high so now vet says she has diabetes and put her on insulin. Keeps getting sicker now won't eat anything and throw ups water unless I give her a few sips at a time. Losing weight fast. Vet waiting for another blood panel back. She wants to walk and walk outside. Wants more water, but everytime throws it up if I give too much. Spent weekend at vet on being hydrated and supposedly getting adjusted to to insulin, but just got sicker. I brought her home yesterday. It seems every medicine is maker her sicker. Please help.
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

What was her glucose?

How long was she on the prednisone?

Were her pancreatic enzymes checked?

Is she spilling glucose in her urine? Has this been checked?

Has she had a test for Cushings?

How old is your girl again?

Thank you

Theresa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Her glucose went from around 400 to 200 and back to 400. While she was at the vet, they force fed her and that's when it went back up. I don't know if she has been checked for Cushings or any of the other answers, but the vet is supposed to call me withing the next two hours. She is appx. 9 years old, I got her from the shelter. Her white blood cells were very high at the last testing and so were her red blood cells. The vet said all the readings were off. Like I said today is when the result of the new test come back. I am just worried about everything she has been on. On Predizone for 6 days twice a day, then 4 days 1/2 pill, then 6 days of every other day 1/2 pill, by then she was throwing up everything. Since this all started I have had these diagnosis:high blood pressure, hypothryroidism, diabetes, and now possible pancreatitis or cancer. She has been on and off bp meds, throid meds, prednisone, antibiotics (baytril), and now on insuline.
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

I am suspecting pancreatitis and very possibly pancreatic cancer though this would be delving in awfully deep without xrays and an ultrasound or biopsy right now. The steriods could have very possibly triggered pancreatitis as well as the elevations in glucose, hence diabetes. The low thyroid could very well have been euthyroid syndrome which is a low thyroid that occurs when a pet is ill. Once she is back to being healthy she may not need thyroid meds and very possibly even insulin depending on whether the diabetes is primary or secondary to medication and illness. It is the pancreas that secretes insulin and if it is sick, like with pancreatitis, then glucose can become altered. With the other blood results like elevated white blood cells indicative of infection and high red blood cells, indicative of dehydration. I would venture to say that pancreatitis has been her problem all along likely triggered by diet and steroids. So, in a way you may be right in assuming that the medications have made her ill, but the risk of these occurring on a short term basis is low. With pancreatitis the patient is not supposed to eat or drink anything for at least 3 days, sometimes more depending on how she responds to being fed. Their force feeding could have caused the condition to become worse. I know financially this is difficult but getting her into a vet on IV fluids for 3-4 days with no food or water and close monitoring of her glucose is recommended. As long as her numbers stay within readable range I wouldn't push trying to regulate her on insulin just yet, just aim to keep her steady. Also, find out if she has ketones in her urine. If not then there is no rush to treat this condition when the other condition is what is causing her the most trouble. If ketones are however in her urine then she is in ketoacidosis and this must be taken care of first.

As for the thyroid meds. If her condition is considered Euthyroid (thyroid sickness) then it is debateable whether to treat with meds or not. I like the idea of treating a low thyroid until the patient is well and have seen many improve faster this way, but taking her on and off of this medication is only causing her system confusing. So, pick yay or nay so that she doesn't keep getting bounced around.

Please let me know how I can help you further.

Pancreatitis

Hypothyroidism and Euthyroid Syndrome

Theresa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: Unfortunately, you were correct about the Pancreatic Cancer and she also had Liver Cancer. I could not hold onto her any longer because she became so sick. I put her to sleep yesterday to relieve her of her misery. Thanks for all of your help. I was just grasping trying to find anything I could, but was not fair to her.
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

Well, that was the last thing either of us wanted. I am so so sorry for your loss. You worked so hard to do everything right for her and you did it. Try to believe this. She is in a much better place now. This is a deep wound for you and it time you will too heal, but you will never forget that girl who was so close to your heart.

Please visit this site it should bring you some peace and comfort:

www.rainbowbridge.com

Theresa