Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog keeps staring at the ceiling.

My dog keeps looking up at the ceiling as if something was there. Then we wants out. Then he comes back in and looks up in the air again and starts sniffing as if he smells something and then wants out again! Now he is following me around the house...Which he never does. Then he starts to shake....Weird....Any advise.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

He may actually here something. Dogs have much better hearing than humans do in order to hear their prey. It may be that there is a mouse in the ceiling and while you can not hear it, he can hear scratching or tiny squeaks. I had this happen. It took me weeks to figure out why my dog was barking at the ceiling once in a while. Then one day, I heard scratching. Your dog may be hearing something either in the ceiling or on the roof. So he wants out to see if there is something on the roof. When he can't find it he want's back in.

Of course, some types of seizures can cause abnormal behavior, one such behavior is trying to catch flies that are not there, so that cannot be ruled out either. You can read about these here:

You can read about all types of seizures here:

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

He is not barking. He just keeps looking up. He wont settle, I tell him to sit beside me on the couch which he does all the time but he wont. He just sits at my feet. I am on the computer and he is under the desk. He never does that. Right now he is sitting on the bench beside the front door and I am watching him and he keeps looking up as if there was something there. I try to hold him and pat and talk to him but he wants to get out of my arms. He wont play with his toys either. He just wants to follow me around the house

My dog barked at the ceiling, I've heard of others just listening and looking at the ceiling as well when there was something in the walls and ceiling.
Check his eyes closely. Is there any discoloration, cloudiness, swelling?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

He has brown eyes. I think he has a little cloudiness, his pupil looks like when you are getting a cataract.

If there is cloudiness, he may have injured his eye and developed an ulceration creating a spot in his vision which is making him think he sees something that isn't there. A cloudy eye should be examined by your vet as soon as possible as there are several reasons for cloudiness.
You can read about these conditions here:
As you can see, these conditions can be dangerous, so diagnoses and treatment should be started as soon as possible.