Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog cant stop licking her butt - she is so

My dog can't stop licking her butt - she is so obsessed with it that she becomes exhausted. I have had her anal glands/sacs checked and they are not impacted - any thoughts on what could be causing her to lick.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Chey,

Who checked her anal glands?
Has a fecal exam been performed?
How old is she?
What breed is she?
Any redness or swelling in the area?
Is your dog on frontline or advantage?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: I brought her to the Vet last Wednesday and the Doctor checked her anal glands. She put her on animax oinment since she started to develop a rash. She had a fecal exam within the last 6 months and everything was negative. She is a 3 1/2 year old Cockapoo. She has had a few seizures within the last 2 years and the most recent was a week ago. She is currently not on frontline or any flea medication since I wasn't sure if that was causing the problem.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

Hello Chey

Was the rash on the rectum?

Is she on phenobarbital for the seizures?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It's mainly under her tail and around the rectum. She is not on any seizure medications even though she started having seizures after the age of 1. She has had 6 seizures and she is 3 1/2 years old. The Vet thought she had food allergies so I've changed her diet and no longer have her on lamb and rice. She is currently on a poultry dog food w/no bi products or corn meal.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

Thank you.

How are her ears?

How much does she weigh?

How long has this been going on?

Chicken is not going to work if she has food allergies. At least for the food trial phase to determine if she does have food allergies. To determine if it is food allergy you can either get her tested at the dermatologist for $300-$400 or try a diet with a hydrolyzed soy protein that the body can not recognize as a protein since it is so small.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Her ears are fine. She weights 24 lbs. The problem has been going on for about 2 yrs. When she becomes obsessed with the constant cleaning of her rectum, I always assume that her anal glands are full so I bring her to the Vet to have them checked. Only once was the left anal gland infected, but all the other time they were empty. When this happens I will give her (1) Benadryl tablet before bed for a couple of days. Calms her down, but doesn't stop her from licking. I did have her on the prescription diet for a couple of months (hills diet, which I mixed with sweet potatoes - we have never feed her table food except on rare occasions.... we'll give her less than a tablespoon of steak with no seasoning - it's very rare!!! This condition comes and goes. She is currently on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers, Adult Food. She was on Natural Choice Lamb and Rice.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

If you already did a 4-6 week diet trial with the hills z/d and it did not get better then I think it is most likely not food allergies. Often the ears get inflamed too with the food allergies.

She probably has atopy.

You can give her tavist 1.34 mg tablets(clemastine, contact 12 hour allergy) 1/2-1 tablet every 12 hours as needed. You might have to keep her on an antihistamine to prevent it from flaring up. I would also keep her on derm caps year round which you read about in the link above.

At this point I am not sure the animax alone will take care of it. I think she may need oral antibiotics and prednisone to clear up the rash.

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.