Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog has diarrhea and is now bleeding from her anus.

My dog is 20 months. Female yellow lab. Nothing unusual in eating habits. No change in food and continues to be eating/drinking. Behavior does not appear to have changed---not lethargic, etc. Diarrhea yesterday and noticed blood (not just drops) today. Do i need to rush dog to emergency clinic and pay millions or is it safe to wait til my normal vet opens in the morning?
Hi Strong,

The most common reason to for diarrhea with blood is parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia.

The most common worms found in dogs are:
Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms

In some cases these worms are passed from the mother to the puppy, in other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.

For additional information about worms, see this site

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.   Revolution and Interceptor as well as other heartworm medications also control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

Information on coccidia
Symptoms are diarrhea which could be mild or severe depending on how infected they are. If severe there may be blood and mucous along with vomiting, loss of appetite leading to dehydration.
Information on giardia
Symptoms of giardia are diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting.

Other causes could be anal growths, infected anal glands and inflammation within the large intestine. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:

Since she is eating, drinking and otherwise normal, tomorrow should be soon enough.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: thank you for your quick response. We are talking about a significant amount of blood discharge. saturated approx a 4x6 inch area on my carpet when she sat down. she also takes regular combination heartworm treatment that is supposed to treat for other parasites worms. still think that is what it likely is? also, it came on all of the sudden yestday. Prior to that all ok.

Protozoan infections may still be present as they are not worms. Like I mentioned, there are other causes for diarrhea with blood such as infected anal glands, a rectal polyp or inflammation within the large intestine which can be caused by the ingestion of a non food item, bones or rawhide chew toys. One occurance is not considered an emergency, continued occurances, vomiting with difficulty defecating would warrant an ER visit.

If your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between his shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible.

If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color or the rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal) or your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive, your dog should also see a vet as soon as possible.