Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Just found scabs along the edges of my dogs ears, a ...

Just found scabs along the edges of my dogs ears, a Bernese Mountain Dog. Also recently had an open sore on his nose....any idea what this means? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

Hello Galaxy

Is your dog indoor or outdoors most of the time? Is it warm out right now where you live?

Are the scabs by the tips of his ears? Or up top by his head?

Is he scratching at the scab areas?

How old is he?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr Gabby - thanks for the quick reply. Vito lives with three other dogs. They live in the house with me, and have regular walks, and have a 3 acre garden. We live in England. It's cool here now of course. The scabs are right around the edge of both ears, worse on the right side. No, he isn't scratching them. He is five and a half years old. He has a history of mild allergies. Sometimes he licks his feet and occasionally has itchy ears, but not at present. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

There are a number of things it could be.

Dermatophytosis (ringworm) is a fungal infection of the skin. It is not really a worm but is called "ringworm" because it makes circular lesions sometimes. It causes the hair to fall out in patches and leaves scales and mild crusts on the skin. Your vet can pluck some hairs and culture them to see if it is ring worm. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=559

It could be demodex mange or mites. The mites attack the hair follicles of the dog. It can cause little bald spots or lots of hair loss. Your vet can diagnose it by scraping a superficial layer of skin and examining it on the microscope. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=630

It could be an autoimmune skin disease where the body attacks it's own skin cells. The best way to diagnose this condition is with a biopsy of the affected area. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2202

There is also a rare blood vessel disorder were dogs can get ulcerations around the edges of their ears. It is called a ear margin vasculitis. They do not know what causes it. It has to be diagnosed with a biopsy. Your vet may not have heard of it. It can be treated with pentoxyfilline which is an oral medication. I just thought I would mention this.

It could also be a simple skin infection that needs a weeks worth of antibiotics to cleat it up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for that information. One last question, could it be an allergic response? His eyes are a bit red tonight. Also, last night I took him to the vet due to a small open sore right by his nose that wouldn't dry up, kept bleeding. This was surrounded by three or four small pimple like bumps that also bled when rubbed. Make any sense to you? Thanks again. He has an appointment to go back to the vet on Monday evening.   The spot on his nose has begun to dry up and reduce in size.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

Yes,

It could be a secondary infection (the pimples are a tiny localized infection) due to an allergic response.

Is he on antibiotics and an antihistamine then?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr Gabby,

No, he is not on any drugs. The vet did not know what it was on his nose last night, and wanted to see him again on Monday. There was a slight concern that it might be cancer. But today it looks better. Then I found the ear edge scabs. I have some antihistamine in the house that was prescribed for Vito in August, it's called Tavegil. I think it's an anti histamine. I didn't use it at the time. Wonder if I should give it to him now see if he improves.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

Yes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He isn't on any drugs. Not sure this message got through to you........so to repeat....I have some antihistamine in the house which was prescribed for Vito in August which I never gave him. It's called Tavegil Tablets. Do you think maybe I should give them to him now to see if he improves? Tomorrow is Sunday so he can't see a vet til Monday. I have to travel to the States on Tuesday, so would like to see him improve by then. (He'll be with great petsitters, not to worry!).
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

That would be a perfect antihistamine choice if they are the same weight.

If not we can figure out the dose.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: The Tavegil was prescribed for the dog in question, so the dose recommended should be right. It says to give him 3 tablets twice daily. Vito weights about 110 pounds I would guess.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just read the insert, and the recommended dose for an adult (this is obviously a drug meant for human use) is one tablet AM and one tablet PM. The dose I was instructed to give Vito was three times that much, it says '3 twice daily'! That seems alot compared to the dose recommeded for an adult human. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

That would be perfect. You, or the pet sitter can clean the "pimples" with over the counter 5% benzoyl peroxide cleaner once or twice a day until healed. I buy clearasil pads, that the teenagers use for acne, since they come in a little container all ready to go.

By the way, you can buy that tavegil over the counter if you need more.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr Gabby, thank you. Did you get that last question about the dosage? Why should Vito take three times the dose recommended for a human adult? Does that make sense to you? When you confirm this to me, I will give it to him.

You are wonderful! What a great resource. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

You are welcome. How many mg are your tablets?

His calculated dose is 5mg every 12 hours based on 110 pounds of body weight.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They are one mg tablets.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

They should be 1.34 mg per tablet.

The highest dose for him is 5mg every 12 hours

The lowset dose for him is 2.5mg. every 12 hours.

So, based on the severity of his skin, he should have between 2 and 4 tablets every 12 hours. Your vet rounded to 3.

Viola

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you......they are indeed 1.34 mg. This scabbing on the edges of his ears is so weird! Like I said, his eyes are red, and he has the pimples on his nose. He's been licking his feet a bit lately. Do you think I should perhaps give him four tablets twice a day?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 years ago.

He might get a little sleepy. Start with three. If he is not dragging around the give him four.

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay Viola,

Thanks for all your advice, I will give him three. Hope it helps him.

I will accept now, and sorry for the length of this 'consultation'. I am so pleased that you were there for me. I was worried about him when I saw his ears like that. Still not sure what it is, but feel it might be allergic.

Good night to you.