NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Why is one puppys poop light grey and pasty

1 of 8 of my Lab pups born on 12/25 (3 weeks + 3 days) has greyish poop that looks like paste and is smelly. The other pups have yellow-brown poop. She is not growing well and I supplement her 3 times a day with milk replacement. Mom dog is healthy and nursing all normally. This pup is vigorous sucking on mom and active--playing with the other pups. Why is her poop grey and pasty and how do I solve this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Light gray stool usually indicates a problem in gallbladder, liver, and pancreas area in a dog.
The color in stool is usually from digested bile. Bile is needed in the digestive process to utilize food and without it the pup isn't getting the nutrition you are giving her into her body.
You would need vet help to diagnose what is wrong and to determine if there is a viable resolution to the issue.
Sometimes pups are born with birth defects that keep them from being able to grow up.
Sometimes this sort of problem can be resolved by adding a digestive enzyme from the pancreas of another animal to the daily rations.
Depends on what the issue is what can be done.
Hope this helps you!