Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My mom is mating yorkshire terriers. The male is having a ...

Customer Question

My mom is mating yorkshire terriers. The male is having a problem hitting the right spot. The female arches her back and lifts her tail end, but the male is not entering her. Is there a way to properly help him hit the right spot and get "it" in?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Lighthouse cabin,

It sounds like the female is in the right stage of heat for mating. Sometimes the problem is a female moving her hindquarters at a crucial moment or walking forward while the male is mounted. Your mom can try leashing the female so she doesn't do this. I have done this with first time mating females with good success.

If your mom still don't get a "tie", then she might need to enlist another person to help. One to hold the females leash and a second to help guide the male's organ to the opening. Generally, it will appear the male is making a half-hearted attempt until his organ hits the vulva. Usually when that occurs, you will notice an almost frantic pumping and this usually signals that the mating will be successful and a tie will occur.

Left to their own, it is not unusual for a male to attempt to mate by mounting and dismounting for 45 minutes or so before actually succeeding in a "tie".

With dogs this small your mom may try sliding the female's rear paws a little forward once he's mounted to lower her rear slightly which may allow him to connect better or give him a little platform to place his rear legs on to raise him.

If all else fails, it may be necessary to have artificial insemination performed.

Hope one of these ideas helps with the situation.