Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

how can you tell if your dog broke his back or neck my dog ...

Customer Question

how can you tell if your dog broke his back or neck? my dog fell but when she is sleeping she doesn't look like she is in pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

HI CindySue

How far did she fall?

Can she walk and move?

Does she look like she is in pain when she is awake?

Can she eat and drink and go the bathroom?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: she fell about 8 feet. she is walking but falls. she eats a little and has gone potty too. she seems perfect when she is sleeping. you would never know she was hurt. she always wants to be moving. she has been crying alot tonite.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

Hello again

It does not sound like she has a broken neck or a broken back. If she did, I don't think she would be able to walk. Just like when people break their necks or backs. There would be spinal cord injury as well.

She might just be very sore.

She could also have broken bones that are not as obvious like broken ribs.

If she is falling over I am wondering if she has a broken leg? Or, does she have some sort of internal injury. She could be bleeding internally and that could make her very weak.

Look at the color of her gums. What color are they?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: they ae lite pink
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

You are fast!

Is that her normal shade of pink?

Is she limping like she may have a broken leg?

I am trying to figure out why she is falling over.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: i really never noticed the color of her gums. but when she is walking her back end starts to sway and she falls over.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

Does she fall over right after she stands up?

Or, does she walk normally then start to sway?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: she starts off good then she falls after a few steps. she stands real good
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

She may have fractured part of her pelvis.

Lets not let her walk around anymore. Keep her confined to a small bathroom, crate, or kennel. So she does not do more damage. In case there is a fracture.

Is she a big girl? Can you carry her out to go potty?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: she is a girl. she is only 5 weeks old so we really don't care where she goes potty right now. we do carry her around alot. can i do anything for her
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 years ago.

Ok. She is so young that she had no depth perception. That is why she fell off. I had one do the exact same thing off my 10 foot deck at 8 weeks of age. My mom was suppose to be watching her. She was fine. The dog is grown up and is sitting right next to me now.

Anyway, buy some karo syrup, pedilyte, and some chicken baby food. If she is not eating her puppy food (or formula) put a few drops of karosyrup on her tongue every few hours to keep her sugar up. You can offer her some chicken baby food too. A few drops of pedilyte on her tongue every few hours too.

You could take her in to the emergency clinic tonight for xrays. If she starts acting different I would take her in.

Otherwise take her to the vet tomorrow for an exam and xrays.