IG Momma
IG Momma, Behavioral Consultant
Experience:  Vet tech training, rescue head, responsible show breeder, handler, behavioral consultant

My labrador retriever has gotten very red eyes over the ...

My labrador retriever has gotten very red eyes over the last two days. One eye is now glazed over and swollen shut. The pupil in that eye is constricted. The other eye is clear, but very red.
It sounds like either a bad eye infection, or an allergic reaction. Either way, I would get her into a vet tomorrow. For tonight, try getting some regular saline eye drops (I prefer the type made for infants) and putting 2-3 drops in each eye, but I would definatly make sure she's seen by a vet soon.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to IG Momma's Post: I have an appointment for 08:15AM tomorrow morning, but I was concerned that I needed to take her to an emergency vet tonight. The eye this morning was not swollen shut, but is now.

This is a 2 year old whit lab. We also have a two year old Golden retriever, both female. Can this be something serious which could cause loss of site?
From the sounds of it, it could, especially in the eye that's swollen shut. The swelling alone if it increases the pressure in or around the eye to much can cause the dog to loose sight in that eye. Is your other dog showing any symptoms?

If the swelling persists for more then another hour or worsens, I would suggest that you call the emergancy vet and explain the situation to them and get their advice on weither or not you should bring the dog in or wait until your appointment tomorrow morning.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My wife says that in her opinion Maggie (white lab) has been acting funny over the last few days. Wife thinks she is not feeling well. I walk these dogs every morning about 2.5 miles and I noticed no difference. I just noticed the red eyes this morning after walk.
It could be a bad cold or virus, sometimes a bad cold will cause congestion bad enough that it'll also irritate the eyes and that may be what's going on. If the eyes have been bothering her for a couple of days, this may also be why she was acting funny. It's hard to say without personally seeing and examining the dog, and even then it can be difficult.