Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

How do i get my dog to stop walking and pooping at the same ...

Customer Question

How do i get my dog to stop walking and pooping at the same time? She poops where i want her to poop but then she walks out and craps every where while poopin. Also, i moved her food in the place where she craps and urins in after cleaning it because that's what i read, and she still uses that specific area as her potty place even having her food there. How do i make her stop? I've been using a training pad and she uses it sometimes but other times she goes else where. Is there something i need to do? What can i do to make this behavior stop?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

How old is your dog?
How long have you owned her?
You say she walks out of her potty place, where is her potty place?
Is she going all over the place or one other specific area?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My dog is 6 months old. I've had her for two months right now. Her potty place is in the living room on a training pad. She uses it but walks out of it while still pooping. I've moved the training pad to the different areas she has pooped and she uses it and still walks out of it and poops else where. Other times she does not use it. She goes all over the place. My mother does not want her in the room because our rooms have carpet and she poops and pees there. I want to fully train her to use the pads so that i can get her a doggy litter box. But i'm having such a hard time with her. She knows that i want her to use the training pad and she uses it, but she sometimes refuses to use it. So is there any suggestions?
HiCustomer

Unfortunately, some dogs are walkers, so I know just what you mean. Sometimes, they walk a bit to help move the stool through. If that is part of the problem, adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to her food will help keep the stool firm but soft enough to be easily passed.

Smaller dogs can be very hard to house train, so you are not alone in your problem. Your first step will be to have your dog checked for parasites as this can cause the dog to be unable to control their bowels like they should. At six months of age, parasites are probably present.

I'm going to also give you three methods of pad/paper training. You can pick the one that best works for you.   Your dog should be able to hold her bowels most of the time at this age if parasites are not present so at least her age is working for you now.

You'll have to be consistent with the girl until house training is complete with her.

Here are some tried and true pad training methods.

For training to pads or paper, this is the best way to go about it with the least amount of stress on your dog. It will take some effort on your part.

In the area that you want her to use the pad, set up an enclosure. You can use child gates, free standing pet enclosures, or anything that will serve to enclose the area you want her to use. These are the times when you will be taking your dog to the enclosure. When you feed or give your dog water, first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times.

You will want to start this when you are not working or when you can spend a couple of hours in the morning and evening exclusively doing this. Enclose or barricade the area and put pads over the entire area. Scent one of the pads and place it where you will leave it when there is only one pad. When you and your dog get up in the morning, instead of taking her outside, take her to the enclosed area and put her inside it. You can leave her a few toys but basically put her in the enclosed area. It is best if you can stay there and keep an eye on her. Do not engage her with talk or play or reassurances. Just be there so you can see her when he actually goes. She may be reluctant, but do not cave in to whines or cries. You must remain calm and in control and ignore her. Sit in a chair and read or do some other activity to keep you occupied while she is in there so you are not focused on her but can still see her. It may take some time, especially the first time, but she will eventually go on the pads as she has no where else to go. When you see her start to go, you can say in a low calm voice “good potty”. It needs to be in a low quiet voice so she isn’t startled into stopping. Give her lots of praise for succeeding and perhaps a little treat and you can then remove her from the enclosure and open it up so she has access if she want to use it. The first time may take an hour or more, but if you do it first thing in the morning, it is likely to take less time.

Repeat this according to the circumstances I mentioned earlier concerning when she should be going and a few extra times during the day to try and avoid accidents. After a few times going in the enclosed space and being praised for it and getting treats she should not be as reluctant to go in the enclosed area. Continue to praise and say the key wood “Potty”. When she reaches the point where she is going to the bathroom almost immediately in the enclosure on the pads, you will want to start taking up some of the pads so only a portion of the enclosed area has pads. Repeat as if the whole area was covered. Your dog should go on the pads and not the floor. If she does, continue the praise and treats. Slowly reduce the number of pads in the area until you are down to one or two only. If she should happen to miss the pad or go off the pad, add some more for the next time as you probably were taking them away too fast. At this point she knows the pads are where she should be going.

Once she is going on the pads and you are down to one or two pads, don’t close up the enclosure when you put her in it. He should still use the pad as she is now used to it. When she does, again praise, praise and more praise, let her come out the opening. Continue this process if it is necessary, but with the enclosure being open, you may now find that he is going there on his own. Once you notice she is using it without you putting her in there, you should be able to take away the enclosure or barrier. She should now be trained to use the pad.

Depending on how quick a learner she is, you may find she starts going in and using the pad early. If so the barrier can go earlier, but you should still only slowly reduce the number of pads she has to go on, so she doesn't miss, use the floor and think it is ok.

Second method is similar but you would leave her in the enclosed area all the time unless you are taking her for a walk, and just slowly removing paper and decreasing the area inside the enclosure that is papered. As long as she continues to use the paper, you are not moving too fast. Once you are down to a small area, she should be trained. I suggest this because while the dog is contained in an area with paper, the dog may not be as stressed as when there is a cage all around him.

Third method
Set up a contained small area with the paper. Then you will have the dog on a leash attached to you. I attach the leash to a belt loop on my pants. This way she is always where you can observe her easily and stop her before she starts urinating and place her in the potty area. When you see her start to squat, give a quick short tug on the leash and in a low toned, firm voice say "NO". Do not be upset. Pick her up and put her in the potty area. With this method it is best to just stand outside the area looking around ignoring the dog until she goes. Remember praise is everything.

A few key things to remember with dogs. You can not yell at a dog. It does not teach them anything even if you are yelling when they are doing the bad behavior. To a dog a high tone, loud noise is associated with play such as yips and barks from another dog. With a dog all commands and corrections should be in a low toned, firm voice. A mother dog corrects their puppies with growls and nips. Other dogs command them with growls. Also, no correction or punishment for accidents unless you can catch her in the act and then the correction should be as outlined above. If you use one of the non-leash methods, you will want to let her trail a leash so you can grab the leash and make a proper correction if it is needed when she isn't contained.

I also recommend a long walk each day with this dog to establish that you are the alpha dog and if you can possibly do it, an obedience class.

I hope one of these methods works for you.