Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

how long does a dog live after being diognosed with kidney failure

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
Customer

Are you opting for any treatment?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i was only told today but he seems so healthy his blood tests were wel over the scale the vet said she has never seen results like thid before.
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
Customer

Unfortunately, outlook is pretty bad without treatment, which is quite costly. Kidney failure is slow and painful, so you want to watch your baby for signs of pain, so you can make the decision when it is needed. Below is a weblink for you to read that tells you all about kidney failure in dogs, treatment options, and what to look for. You can discuss this with your vet to come to a conclusion. I wish you all the best of luck with your baby and you might even consider having more testing done just incase there was a mistake...its happened :)

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/kf.html

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I would like to thank you for your help. khan is 8 years old[english bull terrior] but he never yelps or shows us he is in pain since he was a pup he is a very strong dog, even when i give him a hand in the car [vet said the kidney is so far gone] surely he would yelp, he still runs up hills, jumps like any other healthy dog.

regards

Customer

Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
You're very welcome. Khan will eventually start to show signs of discomfort..he may not yelp, but other signs of distress you can look for is not doing things he once enjoyed doing, refusal of food and water and depression. Until Khan shows these symptoms, enjoy him and he shall enjoy you. Have the vet do follow up testing..just to be on the safe side..labratories can make mistakes. I wish you and Khan all the luck :)