Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

If a brother and sister pitbull mate how will there puppies trun out

Customer Question

i have two pitbulls one male and one female and they are brother and sister if she gets pregent will her puppies come out deformed?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi MyaDutches,

What you are talking about is called inbreeding. Experienced breeders sometimes inbreed to fix an exceptional dog's breed traits in the subsequent puppies. However, while fixing desirable traits you also have a higher chance of having undesirable traits and health problems crop up as a result. This includes supressed immune systems, genetic abnormalities and a predisposition toward diseases. This is due to having less of a genetic diversity and having a higher chance of getting a recessive gene for an undesirable trait from both the mom and the dad who were closely related.

It is recommended that if you plan on inbreeding that at least 3 generation of the pedigree be examined in great detail for health problems and undesirable breed traits.

I, as a breeder, do not recommend breeding closely related as it does introduce a higher chance of health problems and can result in smaller litter size, and weaker immune systems as well. I'd rather have the genetic diversity of 2 unrelated dogs and healthy puppies than potentially having puppies with breed faults or weakened immune system or other health problems.

I know this is probably not the answer you were looking for, but most breeders will agree with this opinion. If you’d like to read more in inbreeding here is a website with additional info.

I hope you find this information helpful.