Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

How many litters should you let your Husky produce

Customer Question

our female husky is 2 years old she is ready to have her third litter is that to many litters and should we look at having her fixed. we have her and a male husky
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

It isn't so much how many litters your dog has but more to do with how healthy your female is and her reproduction tract is. Responsible breeders do not breed before a dog is 2 years old to ensure a female is mature in body and mind and to prevent break down of the female.

They also allow one heat cycle in between each litter to allow a females body to fully recover from the previous birth. I would have your female thoroughly checked out after this birth and have her reproductive health evaluated. After that I would allow her a minimum of a year or 18 months before breeding her again.

Given that it appears she has been bred on each heat cycle she has had, I recommend health checks before breeding for future litters.   I would also not breed her past 8 years old.

Hope this helps.