Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Silent dog whilstles-what frequency makes a dog bark

There are not a lot of details. There is a dog that I need to be able to make bark by a silent whistle and was wondering what frequency.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Each dog responds differently to a silent whistle and the frequency. Most whistles are in a range between 5400HZ to 12800HZ. You will need to try various ranges (by tuning) to see what makes the dog respond.

Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I knew this much, I was looking for an exact frequency. Or at least
closer in to the frequency needed as a starting point for making
a dog bark.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Typically, the higher the frequency, the more annoying/stimulating it is. But each dog is different. Some dog will go crazy at 5400hz. While others will not.

There is no definitive answer for this.

The whistles are usually used to teach the dog commands. Each "ring" would be given a different meaning. They are not typically used to make a dog bark.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I understand that they are not typically used for this purpose, This
is extenuating circumstances. I have a neighbor with a nasty dog
that is very mean whenever someone comes to visit me. Also her
dog messes on my property all the time, because we live very
close to each other. We were hoping to use the whistle to make the
dog bark so that she would respond and take him inside more. We have had the police at our door over this matter and still her dog
messes in driveway and she refuses to shorten his lead.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

If her dog is a making himself a nuisance and she refuses to do anything about it, you do have some recourse.

First, write a letter to her and send it registered mail, return receipt requested. This way, she will have to sign for it and cannot deny that you sent it. Very nicely, state your complaints and ask that she remedy the problem.

If she still refuses, call animal control in your city or county and report the dog as a nuisance. You can even set up a surveilance camera to video the dog and the fact that he is in your yard, making a mess and threatening people.

If you follow legal methods, animal control is obligated to help you with this problem.

You have to keep in mind that it's not the dog's fault. He's being a dog. It's uneducated pet owners who are the problem.

I don't think the whistle will do what you hope.